With the man, there may be problems with sperm – number of sperm (quantity) or how good it is (the quality)
Some of these problems may be treated by a simple treatment, while others may need more specific and advanced treatment like In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
Very often, the tests and treatment may take a few months to more than a year. The length of time for the tests can be hard and adds to problem as most couples want to have a baby as soon as possible.
- Tests to see why a couple cannot have a baby
- Semen assessment, preparation and freezing
- Treatments to help to have a baby
- Surgery to look inside the lady using a telescope to see if there are any problems – Laparoscopic surgery for infertility
- Surgery to make the tubes open – Microscopic tubal surgery
- Helping the lady to release an egg using tablets or injections- Ovulation induction
- Helping to put the egg and sperm together in the lady – Intrauterine insemination
- Joining the egg and sperm together outside the lady and then putting the embryo (baby-to-be) inside the lady – Assisted Reproductive Techniques including In Vitro Fertilization, Gamete Intra fallopian Transfer and intracytoplasmic sperm injection
- Blastocyst culture and transfer
- Keeping the little embryos/babies in a test-tube to use later – Embryo freezing
- Tests to find problems in the baby before the baby is born – Antenatal diagnosis for haematological conditions like Thalassemia and Sickle cell disease
Dr. DEVAMANI PANDIAN M.D, M.Med.Sci,